As we wave bye-bye to 2023, we thought it would be a good time to unwrap the trends that shaped and continue to reshape the big world of dating apps and tech.
There is a lot to unpack—dating apps and tech intersect in so many ways! It’s a mixed bag of innovation, challenges, and big changes in how we find love and make connections in this super-online age. So, as we end one year and usher in a new one in 2024, let’s dig into our extravaganza!
Trending on TikTok: #DatingWrapped2023
Over on TikTok, you can always get an inside and insightful look at what Gen Z is talking about, and this year, the trending topic is #DatingWrapped2023.
Inspired by Spotify Wrapped, singles are recapping their year of dating with PowerPoint presentations, actual handmade pie charts, and year-to-year comparisons of their dating ghosts of the past. This trending hashtag has been viewed 18.7 million times on TikTok, and most of #DatingWrapped2023 is pretty bleak, according to the daters themselves.
While dating apps are now the norm for most young people, that doesn’t mean they are happy about it. You can check out the TikToks of this trend here or just open the app and enter #DatingWrapped2023 into the search bar to see the entire collection of the most-viewed vids!
AI Matchmaking: The Rise of Algorithms
2023 saw a huge jump in AI-driven matchmaking on lots of dating platforms—some even based and built solely for artificial intelligence. More dating apps started using advanced algorithms to suggest really personalized matches, going beyond just interests to include behavior patterns, communication styles, appearance, and even deeply held values.
Video Dating: The New First Date
The COVID-19 pandemic’s effects lingered—video calls were the way daters communicated during the shutdown, and singles took to these video dates so much so that they are now a standard part of dating. This year, though, we saw a surge in creative video dating features—from virtual movie nights on VR dating apps to AI-driven conversation starters and icebreakers, these tools made digital first dates more fun and much less awkward.
Privacy and Security
In response to increasing data breaches, dating apps focused more on user privacy and security. Most have ramped up safety tools with stronger encryption, anonymous browsing options, and stricter verification processes. These became the rule instead of the exception, giving users a lot more confidence in their search for love on online dating platforms.
Niche Dating Apps: Something for Everyone
2023 was the year of new dating apps. From platforms just for pet lovers to dating apps dedicated to gamers, sci-fi fans, and virtual reality enthusiasts, there was an app for pretty much every interest! This opens the door for deeper connections based on shared passions—no matter how niche they may be.
#DatingWrapped2023 Honorable Mentions
From virtual reality dating apps to platforms for green, crunchy singles, here are some of the standout trends that made a mark in 2023!
- Virtual reality dating apps, like Planet Theta, allowed for super creative date ideas, helping long-distance couples feel closer.
- Eco-friendly dating apps connected people who are all about sustainability.
- Emotion-analyzing apps provided compatibility insights by processing texts and voice tones in a revolutionary way.
- Group dating returned as pandemic rules and restrictions eased, blending safety, socialization, and fun for singles.
- Augmented reality (AR) brought interactivity and playfulness to online dating with fun games and activities.
- Health-conscious matchmaking platforms brought together daters who are into the whole wellness industry lifestyle and want to date those who share their commitment to healthy living.
- Blockchain technologies offered enhanced trust and transparency in dating apps. This tech was used by some forward-thinking dating apps this year, offering better transparency and trust—this helped verify user identities and create a safer, more reliable space for dating.
- Beyond just matchmaking, AI dating apps also moved into offering relationship advice. AI-powered virtual coaches and assistants provided personalized guidance, helping users navigate dating challenges, improve communication, and build healthier and happier relationships.
- The idea of micro-dating also became popular in 2023–these short, low-pressure meetups facilitated by apps promoted more in-person interactions, showing that sometimes shorter can be sweeter and more effective for making connections!
- Inclusivity and diversity also became a big theme— dating apps increasingly accommodated a wide range of identities, preferences, and backgrounds, promoting a more inclusive and respectful environment for finding love.
As 2023 wraps up, the fusion of love and tech has never been more mind-blowing or diverse. The trends this year established a foundation where tech not only enables connections but vastly improved them, making the experience of finding love online more inclusive and safe.
Happy New Year to all our readers, and cheers to more innovations in 2024!